Drivers of transport consumption
- Increasing consumption of transport since 2000 by 34 Mtoe at EU level
- Change in traffic of passenger (including international aviation) and goods ("activity effect") contributed to increase the energy consumption (by 79 Mtoe);
- This effect was counterbalanced by energy savings (i.e. change in the efficiency of cars, trucks, airplanes, etc.) which contributed to decrease the energy consumption by 57 Mtoe.
- Few impact of modal shift, i.e. change in the share of each transport mode in the total traffic.
- Other effects (behavioral effects and "negative savings" in freight transport due to low capacity utilization) tend to slightly increase the energy consumption (by 8 Mtoe).
Drivers of energy consumption variation in transport at EU level