Last update February 2021
EU still refers to the EU28
Drivers of transport consumption
- Increasing consumption of transport since 2000 by 35 Mtoe at EU level.
- Change in traffic of passenger and goods ("activity effect") contributed to increase the energy consumption (by 80 Mtoe).
- This effect was counterbalanced by energy savings (i.e. change in the efficiency of cars, trucks, airplanes, etc.) which contributed to decrease the energy consumption by around 50 Mtoe.
- Few impact of modal shift, i.e. change in the share of each transport mode in the total traffic (decrease of 4 Mtoe).
- Other effects (behavioral effects and "negative savings" in freight transport due to low capacity utilization) has also a very limited impact and slightly increase the energy consumption (by 2 Mtoe).