Last update February 2021
EU still refers to the EU28
Declining share of space heating in the EU
- Declining space heating consumption (-0.6%/year since 2000). Its share in household energy consumption has also decreased, from 70% in 2000 to 65% in 2018.
- The second end-use is water heating (increasing share from 13% to 14%), closely followed by electrical appliances.
- Increasing consumption of electrical appliances (+1.5%/year since 2000), with a share rising from 10% in 2000 to 13.6% in 2018.
- Cooking share is stable at 5%.
- Lighting accounts for just under 2% (7% of electricity consumption).
- Air conditioning is negligible (1% of electricity consumption).
Household energy consumption in the EU
Household energy consumption in the EU, in %
Note: Energy consumption at normal climate (i.e. with climatic corrections)