Last update November 2021
EU refers to the EU27
Declining share of space heating in the EU
- Space heating consumption is decreasing (-0.5%/year since 2000), while the consumption of electrical appliances is increasing rapidly (+1.3%/year since 2000).
- The share of space heating in household energy consumption has decreased, from 69% in 2000 to 65% in 2019.
- The second most important end-use is water heating (increasing share from 13% to 14%), closely followed by electrical appliances, with a share rising from 10% in 2000 to 13% in 2019.
- The share of cooking is stable at 6%.
- Lighting accounts for just under 1.5% (6% of electricity consumption).
- Air conditioning is negligible (1.6% of electricity consumption).
Household energy consumption in the EU
Household energy consumption in the EU, in %
Note: Energy consumption at normal climate.