Last update February 2021
EU still refers to the EU28
Energy efficiency trends of final consumers
- Energy efficiency of final consumers improved by 1.2%/year between 2000 and 2018, with a little slow down since 2015.
- Larger gains are for households (1.9%/year) with a net slow down since 2015 (1.1 %/year against 2%/year before).
- A comparable slow-down is also visible for industry since the economic crisis (1%/year since 2008 compared to 1.6%/year before).
- Regular but limited improvement in transport (0.6%/year).
- Energy efficiency in services improved between 2000 and 2004 (1.5%/year), then remained stable until 2011. Since then, it has improved at an average pace of 1.4%/year.
Energy efficiency trends of final consumers (EU)
Energy efficiency improvement above 1.5%/year since 2007 in 11 countries.
Energy efficiency improvement below 1.5%/year since 2007 in 17 countries.