Last update February 2020
Impact of structural changes on final intensity
- The difference in the variations of the intensity and the intensity at constant structure measures the effect of structural changes
- Structural changes only explain 12% of the final intensity decrease since 2000 (even less since 2007).
- Structural changes are mainly due to structural changes within industry to less energy intensive branches
Impact of structural changes on the final intensity (EU)
Contribution of structural changes (EU)
- Most countries have moved to less energy intensive sectors .
- In almost 25% of EU countries structural changes explained more than 20% of the final energy intensity decrease.
- In some countries, such as Sweden, Norway, Hungary, Croatia and Austria, they even explain more than 40% of the intensity decrease.
Impact of structural changes on the final intensity in EU countries (2007-2017)
Note: Final energy intensity at normal climate (cc)