Last update November 2021
EU refers to the EU27
- Upward trend in international energy prices from 2016 to 2018 and decrease in 2019.
- Significant decline in international prices over the period 2012-2016 after the sharp rise driven by the financial crisis.
- In 2019, oil and gas prices are respectively 90% and 65% higher than in 1990 and close to the 2010 level.
International energy prices (EU)
- Slight progression of end-use energy prices since 2016.
- Between 2012 and 2016, rapid decrease of the average energy prices for final consumers (-4.7%/year), mainly in transport (-7.4%/year for motor fuels) and industry (-4.1%/year). Moderate reduction for households (-1.7%/year).
- Very rapid increase of average end-use energy prices by sector between 2000 and 2012 (around 70%).
Average energy prices by sector (EU)
Source: Eurostat; energy prices by sector (at constant prices): weighted average prices by energy (electricity, gas, fuel, coal) on the basis of energy market shares.