Last update February 2021
EU still refers to the EU28
- Increasing trends for international energy prices since 2016.
- The period 2012-2016 was marked by a significant drop in prices after the sharp rise driven by the financial crisis.
- In 2018, oil and gas prices are around twice as high as in 1990.
International energy prices (EU)
- Very rapid increase of average end-use energy prices by sector between 2000 and 2012 (around 60%).
- Between 2012 and 2016, rapid decrease of the average energy prices for final consumers (-4.5%/year), mainly in transport (-7.5%/year for motor fuels) and industry (-4%/year). Moderate reduction for households (-1.5%/year).
Average energy prices by sector (EU)
Energy prices by sector (at constant prices): weighted average prices by energy (electricity, gas, fuel, coal) on the basis of energy market shares.