Last update November 2021
EU refers to the EU27
Energy efficiency trends in paper industry
- Around half of the EU MS have seen a decrease in the specific consumption per ton of pulp and paper and other half have seen an increase. At EU level, the level is roughly stable.
- The largest reduction is observed in The Netherlands and Spain (respectively 2.5% and 2.2%/year since 2000).
- These trends are influenced by energy efficiency but also by variation of the share of pulp produced in the country.
- Differences among countries also depend on the level of pulp production.
Specific consumption of paper and pulp
- There is a decreasing share of pulp production over total paper and pulp production in most countries over time, with huge difference among countries: from 1% for Netherlands to more than 50% in Scandinavian countries (Finland, Sweden) as well as in Portugal.
Ratio pulp/paper production in EU countries
- The lower the share of pulp is, the lower the average energy consumption per ton of pulp and paper production is, on average.