Drivers of transport consumption
- Increasing consumption of transport since 2000 by 14 Mtoe at EU level
- Change in traffic of passenger (including air) and goods ("activity effect") contributed to increase the energy consumption (by 58 Mtoe);
- This effect was counterbalanced by energy savings (i.e. change in the efficiency of cars, trucks, airplanes etc) which tend to decrease the energy consumption.
- Few impact of modal shift, i.e. change in the share of each transport mode in the total traffic.
- Other effects (behavioral effects and "negative savings" in freight transport due to low capacity utilization) tend to slightly increase the energy consumption.
Drivers of energy consumption variation in transport at EU level